Magistrates Court

Can you appear in court without me?

We are based in Central Queensland, so the closest Magistrates Courts to us are:
– Rockhampton Magistrates Court
– Yeppoon Magistrates Court
– Gladstone Magistrates Court
– Biloela Magistrates Court
– Emerald Magistrates Court
– Mackay Magistrates Court

Beyond Central Queensland, Rowan King is able to appear in other Magistrates Court locations, including:
– Brisbane
– Gold Coast
– Cairns
– Townsville

Contact us if you’re appearing in another Court.

What matters go to the Magistrates Court?

The Queensland Magistrates Court deals with the majority of cases (or ‘matters’). Most criminal charges start in the Magistrates Court, but the Magistrates can only deal with criminal charges where the maximum sentence to be imposed is less than 3 years imprisonment. This includes:
– Driving offences
– Stealing
– Minor assaults
– Public nuisance

Personal disputes of up to $150,000 are the responsibility of the Magistrates Court. The Magistrates Court also deals with civil disputes, like:
– Domestic violence applications
– Peace and good behaviour orders

If your case is more serious, the Magistrate will transfer (or ‘commit’) your case to the District or Supreme Court.

What if I can’t make it to court?

You can’t just send an email or phone in to excuse yourself from appearing in court. If you fail to appear in court, whether you are sick or at work, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest.

What if I miss court?

If you miss court, and a warrant is issued for you, you must surrender yourself to court as soon as you can. If the police catch you, then you may be charged with Failing to Appear in Court.

Can you appear in court without me?

If you are a client of RK Law, we can generally appear without you and adjourn or postpone your case to another date. We are in court every day, so there is no need to be anxious.

Let us defend your future

Get help now

Already know you need RK Law in your corner? CALL NOW